Fed & Cal OSHA 1540 standards covered in depth
OSHA requires a competent person to oversee all excavation and trenching work sites.
The Competent Person Trenching & Excavation program is designed to simplify the task by providing participants with the information and training needed to become an OSHA compliant, competent person.
This course has been revised with the current Cal/OSHA, Construction Safety Orders, Sections 1540-1541, Title 8, California Code of Regulations, dated August 2007 and Subpart P – Excavation Standard of the Federal OSHA Regulations which includes definitions, general requirements, requirements for protective systems and soil classification. Class demonstrations include soil testing for compressive strength, air testing for deep trench issues, rescue with retrieval systems and shoring.
Participants receive a manual and are expected to pass an open book test with a minimum grade of 70%.
Participants will be able to:
- Display knowledge of the Cal/OSHA & FED/OSHA Trenching and Excavation Standard.
- Read and understand OSHA Charts & Tab data.
- Understand how to categorize soil classification.
- Correct soil testing procedures.
- Understand how to select and use different types of protective systems.
- Identify hazards associated with trenches and excavations.
* Cal/OSHA recommends that Competent Persons be re-certified every three years.
** Subject to minimum class size requirements. All classes must be paid in advance. Missed and/ or re-scheduled classes with less than 1 weeks notice are non-refundable. Students are placed in a future class. Classes with less than 10 students may be rescheduled. All safety classes are payable in advance. Cancellation fees will apply unless 1 week written cancellation notice is given. Cancellation with less than 1 week written notice is non-refundable. Students will be placed in a future class if they cancel or “no show” with less than 1 week notice. Minimum class size requirements are subject to change without notice.