This program meets the competencies outlined in the OSHA HAZWOPER 29 CFR 1910.120 regulation or other applicable state regulations for certification in hazardous materials/waste worker.
Students have previously taken a 40-hour or 24-hour OSHA Hazardous Waste Worker course and have a valid, unexpired certificate.
Students will be able to:
- Understand the various training regulations relating to hazardous materials handling and response.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the types of hazardous materials and the various hazards and risks associated with them.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the routes of entry for hazardous materials to enter the body.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the health effects that hazardous materials can have on the body.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the terminology used in describing hazardous materials including vapor pressure, vapor density, specific gravity, miscibility/solubility, carcinogen, teratogen, mutagen, pH, PPM, etiologic, TLV, IDLH, flammable/explosive range, combustible, flammable, flash point, and ignition temperature.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify the hazards of various hazardous materials using the Department of Transportation (DOT) Labeling system, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 704 system, Hazardous Materials Information System (HMIS), and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Understand the need for personal protective equipment when using hazardous materials.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need for respiratory equipment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the advantages and disadvantages to the types of respiratory equipment.
- Understand emergency activities related to hazardous materials releases and of their role in the event of an emergency.
- Review site specific issues and incidents.
* Upon course completion students will receive OSHA Certificates and wallet cards for the Hazwoper certification.
** Subject to minimum class size requirements. All classes must be paid in advance. Missed and/ or re-scheduled classes with less than 2 weeks notice are non-refundable. Students are placed in a future class.
*** CLASSES with less than 20 students may be rescheduled. All safety classes are payable in advance. Cancellation with less than 2 weeks written notice is non-refundable. Students will be placed in a future class if they cancel or “no show” with less than 2 weeks notice. Minimum class size requirements are subject to change without notice.